Thursday, April 26, 2012

Go Green

I love learning about Color Psychology. It's so interesting to see what different colors can do to people in a space. In my previous blog, I studied yellow. You can read about it here.

When I typed in the word "green" on Google Images almost everything dealt with organic vegetables (except the green colored poodle) or nature's beauties. Just having celebrated Earth Day, I wanted to study green. Green reminds me of nature and that makes me feel restful and calm. When I'm having a rough day or can't seem to get any ideas on a project I revert back to the outdoors. I have a lake near my house that I like to run/power walk around. There are so many animals and flowers along my trek that is gives me a since of life and hope. I always feel rejuvenated after.

According to studies, green is known for it's health-giving ability. Of course it symbolizes nature but it can also represent good luck, jealousy, and tranquility. Researchers have also found that green can improve reading ability. Some students may find that laying a transparent sheet of green paper over reading material increases reading speed and comprehension.




Green has long been a symbol of fertility and was once the preferred color choice for wedding gowns in the 15th-century. 

Even today, green M & M's are said to send a sexual message. Hence, why Green is green. Who knows if that is true.


Green is often used in decorating for its calming effect. For example, guests waiting to appear on television programs often wait in a “green room” to relax. Green is thought to relieve stress and help heal. Those who have a green work environment experience fewer stomachaches.

I could see why they would want you to be calm in this room. Yikes!
The Green Room in the White House: With its intimate size, green silk-covered walls and early 19th-century American furniture, the Green Room is a favorite White House parlor. The room was referred to as the “Green Drawing Room" as far back as 1825 after a green floor covering was placed there during the Jefferson Administration. In 1961, First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy began a program to give a more formal, museum-like character to the public rooms of the White House. The Green Room was one of the notable rooms that Mrs. Kennedy helped redesign. Artwork in the room today includes Henry Ossawa Tanner's Sand Dunes at Sunset, Atlantic City, the first work by an African American artist to be added to the permanent White House collection. Source




In the design industry, you say the word "green" and we will automatically associate it with sustainability. It's so important to use the three Rs. Reduce waste and energy. Reuse products like steel, wood, and bamboo. Recycle your paper, plastic, and glass materials. These buildings are considered LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified.

Birmingham, AL - Social Security Building

Birmingham, AL - New Children's Hospital

Birmingham, AL - Brookwood Building

So what does GREEN do for you? Does it calm you down like it does me or does it make you want to save the earth? Send your favorite green things to me! In case you wanted to see that green poodle, here you go!


Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment